What I've taken to doing is using a classname like 'initially_hidden'
or something much shorter, and then taking advantage of the new
document.observe wonderfulness to hide everything at dom:loaded.

        document.observe('dom:loaded',function(){
                $$('.initially_hidden').invoke('hide');
        });

This has the further practical advantage of not hiding things in a
permanent way from the unscripted.

Walter