Safari 3.1 implements its own getElementsByClassName and messes up Prototype.

A short summary is available here:

<http://blog.caboo.se/articles/2008/3/21/safari-3-1-breaks-your-app>

The above blog entry suggests substituting $$ for getElementsByClassName as a
work-around and I see that the Prototype documentation lists
getElementsByClassName as "deprecated".

My problem is that I use the 'parentElement' option in Prototype's
getElementsByClassName fairly often so $$ is not an effective substitution.

So, is there a variation on $$ that constrains the search to a specific node?

I have yet to hear a comment on this list regarding Safari 3.1's change and how
it affects Prototype. Am I the only one feeling this pain. This broke our site
in a few important ways...

Is there a short-term hack I can apply to Prototype to get it to allow me to
use Safari's getElementsByClassName (which appears to support the parentElement
option)?

Is there something I'm missing here?

Regards,

Steve Upton