I was told that we can't use mongrel with JRuby because mongrel is GPL and
based on lawyer language if we include mongrel then our code violates some
situation where someone could claim our code should become free. I always
thought this would only apply if we modified the mongrel code base in any
way then we have to make that mongrel version available but this is not
what I am told but rather our code base (totally seperate from mongrel)
can't use mongrel ..

 This is somehow related to black duck, but I am still confused about what
is going on here

http://techrights.org/2012/11/06/perens-on-gpl-fud/