Hi Guys
Struggled some time with this, but found the issue appears to be the
line
in the mysql2.rb file:

require mysql/mysql

Removing this works better however the server doesn't start normally.
When I copied the mysql.rb file from the mysql folder to

C:\Ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.9.1\gems\mysql2-0.3.14\lib

and renamed mysql2.rb to something else server starts fine.
On further investigation I found anothe copy of mysql.rb in

C:\Ruby\lib\ruby\gems\1.9.1\gems\mysql-2.9.1-x86-mingw32\lib

Which is used if you remove the one you just copied into
mysql2-0.3.14\lib.

The mysql.rb file has the line :

require 'mysql/mysql_api'

I therefore edited the mysql2.rb file and added the line

require 'mysql2/mysql2_api'

Lo! it works!