On 18 October 2016 at 14:27, Chris Vukin <medri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> thank you for your reply Colin, here's what we're trying to do:
>
> The app has a farm model and each farm has nested plant models, nested
> under each plant is a feeding model. Say a farm has 16 plants, we'd like to
> be able to feed all the plants at once and not create a new feeding for
> each plant but retain the ability to create an inidividual feeding under a
> specific plant.
>
> currently the new feed method looks like this:
>     def new
>     @farm = Farm.find(params[:farm_id])
>     @plant = Plant.find(params[:plant_id])

Don't do that, you leave open the possibility of fetching the wrong farm.
Use
@farm = @plant.farm
in fact you don't even need @farm, just use @plant.farm when you need it in
the view. Also the same in the create method below.

Back to the question, I don't understand what you mean by "feed all the
plants at once". Do you mean you want to update all the feeds for a plant?
If so then you can do something like
@plant.feeds.each do |feed|
  do something with feed
  feed.save