So I tried this:

Rails.application.routes.draw do
  if File.exist?('/home/real-estate-data-mining/MaintenanceNow')
    get '*', redirect_to: '/maintenance.html'
  else
    resources :experiments
    resources :articles
  end
end

but it doesn't work

I do see that there is a Rails.application.reload_routes!

So, clearly, I don't understand how routes.rb works.  Is routes building a
very expensive process to be done infrequently?

Ralph Shnelvar