This model has some errors that I wasn't able to get sorted out the two
lines that begin with validate should be validates but after that I don't
understand what the author's trying to do If I change them to validates I
get the error Unknown validator: 'MessageValidator' for   validate
:auction_active?, message: :auction_active

class Bid < ActiveRecord::Base
  belongs_to :auction
  belongs_to :user

  validates :auction, :user, presence: true
  validate :auction_active?, message: :auction_active
  validate :last_user_different?

  scope :sorted, -> { order(:created_at) }

  after_create :update_auction

  private

  def auction_active?
    if auction && !auction.active?
      if auction.finished?
        errors.add(:auction, :finished)
      else
        errors.add(:auction, :not_started)

  def last_user_different?
    if auction && user
      errors.add(:user, :same_user_twice) if auction.last_user == user

  def update_auction
    auction.increase_price_and_time
    auction.publish_updates