All databases have some unique characteristics and capabilities, but they are
all pretty equal in the eyes of an ORM like ActiveRecord. In fact, that's one
of the selling points of Rails -- you can write once and deploy mostly
anywhere. At Penn, we use SQLite for our tests and CI, and Oracle for
production and staging. Those could not be more different, yet we don't have to
do too much to accommodate their differences.

Walter