> On Jan 17, 2019, at 3:06 PM, Phil Edelbrock <edel...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Jan 17, 2019, at 12:13 PM, Jason Hsu <jhsu802...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm so thankful for the recent release of Ruby 2.6.0, which has allowed me
>> to move on from 2.5.0.
>>
>> When trying to start a new app on a system with Ruby 2.5.0 and 2.5.3, I'd
>> get messages like "Your Ruby version is 2.5.3, but your Gemfile specified
>> 2.5.0" and "Your Ruby version is 2.5.0, but  your Gemfile specified 2.5.3".
>> I'd check the Gemfile, my Ruby version, the .rbenv-version file, etc.  But
>> no matter how correct these configurations were, I couldn't get things to
>> work.  I also had similar problems when trying to upgrade an existing app
>> from Ruby 2.5.0 to 2.5.3.
>>
>> In contrast, I have no such problems with upgrading to Ruby 2.6.0.  I just
>> hope that rest of the Ruby 2.6.x series doesn't give me the same problems
>> and force me to wait for Ruby 2.7.0.
>

> fyi- If it happens again and your Gemfile looks OK, make sure the utils in
> bin are referencing the ruby you want to use in the first line of each file
> (the sha-bang line).  And then run 'bin/bundle update'.  Also check that what
> ever method you are using to spawn the app is using the same ruby (e.g.
> Passenger has a config to explicitly set the path to the ruby you want to
> use.)
>
> I also am having some fun experimenting with 2.6.0, but I can't seem to get
> JIT to work (I know it is experimental and not ready yet for rails apps), but
> the simple examples in tutorials showing big speedups just isn't working.
> Everything slows down when --jit is used.  Oddly it gave permissions
> errors/warnings about my /tmp directory (which there is nothing special about
> it), so creating a new directory in my home dir and setting it to use that as
> tmp seems to get rid of the errors/warnings but still no speedups... oh well,
> they probably haven't tested on RHEL 7.5 yet or something.
>

> Phil

btw- I believe that the default to use /tmp fails is because it is (here
anyway) mounted as NOEXEC.  So, the correct action was to create a different
directory specifically for ruby to use for JIT compiling.  I'm still confused
why there's no speedups for me, but I can take that convo to another mailing
list. :')

Phil