On Mon, 21 Jan 2019 at 21:27, dwilde1 <dwil...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now, as you can see from the output of the ls -al command, the file is there,
> and it's readable and writable. The db/migrate directory is also writable by
> world, but none of the tests find it and it blows up on File.open. I'm
> running the updater from inside db/migrate, although as you can see the
> updater now has hard-coded paths everywhere.

Is it specific to that file or directory?  What happens if you try
another file somewhere else?
If it is something specific then try another file in that directory,
and so on till you work out what is going on.
I suppose it could be something like an unprintable character in the
filename or something.

Colin