Correct. Your server does not have a JavaScript interpreter available at the
command line. These days, I just install whatever version of NodeJS is in the
package manager for that server. If you want to avoid any server dependencies,
you can just add therubyracer to your Gemfile and bundle on the server will
install that. That's a JS interpreter written entirely in vanilla Ruby.

Walter