Passenger is an application server that can either run as a plug-in to a web
server, just like fastcgi or mod_php, or as a stand-alone server. When it runs
as a stand-alone server, it actually uses an embedded copy of nginx as part of
its code—but don’t let that confuse you. It’s still an application server,
running as a separate process from the ‘http’ nginx server that is listening
for requests from browsers. That ‘http’ server needs to be configured with a
reverse proxy to the application server.

And an aside: Passenger is the best-documented, easiest to use application
server I have ever used. I would not be so quick to run away from it. Figure
out what your certbot issue is and fix that. You have a lot more work ahead of
you to use a different approach.

Walter