Ok, so

Rails Guide http://guides.rubyonrails.org/testing.html
para 3.5 says it exists - I guess the guide needs amending?

It was deprecated at 2.2.2
 - "assert_valid is deprecated. Use assert record.valid? instead"
see
http://github.com/rails/rails/commit/d4754677a34d34d4a0955a04f2cc6571bdc5e82d
and
https://rails.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8994/tickets/1470-assert_valid-undefined-in-edge-activesupporttestcase

I didnt want to go change all my tests just at the moment, so putting
assert_valid in my test_helper gets me over that for the moment.  Bit
of a time waster, since I was going from 2.0.2 to 2.3 so had not seen
the dep error.

def assert_valid(record)
  assert record.valid?, record.errors.full_messages.join("\n")
end

Tonypm