This helped!

Though, a bit strange, the only "hint" for the mongrel port is in
request.env["rack.errors"] which is an IO object pointing the logfile
of the mongrel. It is something like "/somepath/mongrel.400x.log".
Hence

request.env["rack.errors"].inspect[/mongrel\.\d+/]

verboses the mongrel port of the request.

Thanks, this solves my problem, Thomas