I'm starting a new hobby.  Going to learn about and have a try at
building some automated trading systems for forex and other markets.

So far I've been very disappointed with the results of my googling
looking for a broker and/or third-party product to use as a bridge
between the software I will build and an actual trading account.

Since I already know a bit about Rails, I'm thinking I would like to
start there even if it isn't the most obvious platform from which to do
this sort of thing.  It does, however, provide a familiar set of tools I
expect to use such as Ruby and mySQL front end.  At the same time, once
it gets to that point it can make it easy to create an administrative
control panel for my trading activities that would be accessible from
anywhere (with a strong password  ;)  )

Thanks for any hints you can give me on where to find an easy access
point to this world from Rails.

jp