I have a model and I set defaults for some values by overriding the
read accessor.  For example

def heading
    read_attribute(:heading).nil? ? 'Please select from:' :
read_attribute(:heading)
end

The problem I have found is that text_field ignores this.

    <%= f.text_field :heading %>

is empty even when heading is nil

now I can easily add :value and it works

    <%= f.text_field :heading,  :value => @site.heading %>

but it seems like this shouldn't be necessary.   I also override read
accessors for values that I use in select statements on the same form
and it works fine.

def text_color
    read_attribute(:text_color).nil? ? SiteColors::TEXT_DEFAULT :
read_attribute(:text_color)
end

<%= f.select :text_color, SiteColors::COLORS%>

This picks up the default fine

Is this a bug in text_field or am I just doing something stupid?

Tony