Anytime you modify a object, candidate rules are going to be re-examined.
You may need some state variables in addition to this (to control when rules
fire, avoid loops, etc), but the basic rules could be:

rule AddVcr
when
 $c: Cart(contents contains "TV", contents excludes "free VCR")
then
$c.add("free VCR");
modify($c);
end

rule RemoveVcr
when
$c: Cart(contents excludes "TV")
then
$c.remove("free VCR");
modify($c);
end

You can fill in the rest.  Like I said, you probably need some state
variables so things don't loop, need to exclude the case where a non-free
VCR is legitimately in the cart, etc.  But your basic question should be
answered with this approach.  Don't think procedurally, think in terms of a
living system when the changes in objects trigger somewhat asynchronous
cascades of matching rules.  Calling modify() on a fact is like restarting
the whole matching algorithm for any rules that had that fact included in
their (possible candidate) constraints.