I have been working on persisting knowledge sessions to an H2 database that
are used for long running processes.  The question I have is surrounding
the following description:

-        - A stateful knowledge session is created using the
JPAKnowledgeService and persisted to a database.

-        - A process is started within the knowledge session.

-        - The process contains a human task blocking the completion of the
process.

Because the stateful nature of the knowledge session, an instance of the
process is inserted into the processinstanceinfo table and an instance of
the human task is inserted into the task table.  State is therefore
maintained until the human task is completed and the process can continue
execution.

While the knowledge session, process and human task are awaiting
completion, is it possible to upgrade the version of Drools/jBPM being
used?  Will the upgrade effect the de-serialization of the objects from the
database or will they be able to be retrieved and used as before?  Is there
a best practice for accomplishing upgrading drools versions with knowledge
sessions that may have been previously existing?

Thanks,

-          Darin