On 22/07/2014 14:27, Mark Proctor wrote:
> A while back there was a discussion on the volume of posts and the range of
> post discussions. OptaPlanner already has it’s own google group, which has
> helped reduce the volume. There is still the discussion on whether to split
> Drools.
>
> My initial idea is to leave this list for installation, setup, configuration,
> deployment and getting started (hello world won’t run) - this tends to be a
> fairly shallow knowledge area, that new people will need to deal with. Then
> also create a separate google group for those wanting help on writing rule
> applications, that’s authoring (drl, score cards, decision tables etc) and
> running (insert, fireAllRules etc); this would become a deep knowledge area.
> In the google group you would not ask how to install the workbench, or how to
> deploy your app, or how to setup HA etc.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> We are about to do 6.1 final. For this we are revamping the websites, and
> sorting out our communications (lists etc) at the same time.
>
> Mark

A few thoughts for you:

Partitioning the discussions as you suggest sounds sensible - minimising
"off-topic" posts is always desirable.

It should be *easy* for a user who lands on one of the groups (say via a
Google search) to realise there is a better (more appropriate) group for
them to post their question on - so maybe some form of standardised
footer that compactly identifies the purposes of the different groups?

Over time, I think you could also use the application writing group to
bootstrap some form of "How do I ..." FAQ or tips and techniques
listing. This could supplement the documentation, but be organised by
developer task rather than language feature/area.

Borris