On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 7:56 AM, Noel Grandin <noelgran...@gmail.com> wrote:

> That kind of coding is easily modelled by returning closures to a core event
> loop routine.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but closures are typically
heap-allocated, whereas in Sebastian's scenario:

> Sebastian Sylvan wrote:
>> A counter-point is that those are the cases that could usually be
>> rewritten as a loop anyway. The cases where tail-calls are
>> indispensible are things like having a long running "server process"
>> that branches on incoming messages and "jumps" to different states by
>> tail calling to the appropriate function.

I don't see there being any allocation? Remember that "constant space"
is one reason why tail calls are desirable.

Cheers,
Tim

--
Tim Chevalier * http://cs.pdx.edu/~tjc/ * Often in error, never in doubt
“I cannot hide my anger to spare you guilt, nor hurt feelings, nor