> I'm less concerned about blocks than I am about @fn (which we still have
> AFAIK) and objects.

To recap, immutably rooted references (which is most of them) are safe
as long as their root isn't touched. So closures and objects don't
cause a problem there. Mutably rooted references are the problematic
kind, and those do indeed have to be invalidated as soon as an object
or closure is touched.

> But I do keep hitting issues with the alias analysis. Every so often I have
> to make copies to satisfy the alias checker, usually after calling a
> closure.

Of course, the current analysis is by no means a magic bullet. But I
stand by the opinion that it is much less painful (and complicated) to
program with than the schemes you are proposing here.