On 1/26/2012 5:41 PM, Patrick Walton wrote:

A bit opposed to both, sadly. I quite like picking up impls "by
accident" via "import foo::*", and dislike the aesthetic of ->.

Is "import impl foo::*" bad?

Depends what it means! Does it pull in the same stuff that "import foo::*" pulls in, in addition to impls? Or just impls? IWO, do I have to double the number of boilerplate lines to get access to foo-and-its-methods?

Is the ambiguity between field-access and method-call really biting in
actual cases? Users really seem to adore '.' as a sub-component
accessor. We even have people wanting us to go back to '.' for
module-separator :)

Yes, I found it very confusing yesterday, when trying to figure out "."
with a closure. It's also screwing up our error messages.

What was the error message? I'm not trying to be a pain, just concerned that a proliferation of -> symbols through much of our code will read poorly, and want to try to avoid.

-Graydon