The main thing I was trying to argue for is not a specific syntax but rather the idea that a leading @, ~, or & sigil indicates the kind of pointer, and what comes after indicates the data that is being pointed at. The orthogonality appeals to me; it seems to make the language "fit together" more neatly.

As far as pure visual aesthetics, I think what I prefer most is `[T]` for slices and `vec<T>` for vectors. I proposed this previously but amended it because we would need to support types like `vec<mut int>`, which are different from ordinary type parameters that do not permit a `mut` qualifier. Since type names are no longer keywords, this is somewhat awkward to do, though of course we could manage it (either by making `vec` a keyword or by allow `<mut T>` as an alternate type parameter syntax that can only be used with vectors).

Niko