> Is that the same syntax highlighter that github uses for their gists?

No, Github uses Pygments for their syntax highlighting. And though there
exists a Rust highlighter in Pygments, it's a newer version of Pygments
that Github's Ruby-based Pygments wrapper doesn't yet support.

Though note that Marijn's CodeMirror plugin is 100% Javascript, and is in
fact designed to be embedded in web pages. It's quite a lovely client-side
code editor.