~ would still be the unique default. @ would require a place (because there's
no placement without a place). Just because C++ uses the same operator for
regular allocation and for placement doesn't mean we have to do the same. As
it's been pointed out already, C++'s use of `new` for placement is kind of
quite strange, since it doesn't actually allocate anything.

As for "too punctuation heavy", why the hate on punctuation? Operators have a
long history of use in programming languages to great effect. I don't get why
operators are now suddenly bad. User-overloadable operators are contentious,
certainly, but this isn't an overloadable operator.

-Kevin