On 23/12/2013 20:55, Benjamin Striegel wrote:
I too think it would be a big mistake to allow let patterns to be
refutable, when we've already tried and rejected allowing the same in
match statements (ancient Rust history quiz: who else remembers `match
check`?).

For those of us that were not around or do not remember, can you explain what was tried and rejected?

I sometimes find myself writing a `_ => ()` arm for match and wish it could be implied… and sometimes `_ => fail!()`. That the two are sometimes used is probably a sign that the status quo (require it to be explicit) is better.

--
Simon Sapin