It sounds like you're proposing that arbitrary functions may be eligible for
CTFE if they happen to meet all the requirements, without any special
annotations. This seems like a bad idea to me. I understand why it's
attractive, but it means that seemingly harmless changes to a function's
implementation (but not its signature) can cause compiler errors in other
modules, or even other crates if the AST for the function happens to be made
extern.

A more conservative approach would be to require the #[ctfe] annotation, which
then imposes all the given restrictions on the function. The downside is such a
function then is restricted to only calling other CTFE functions, so we'd have
to go in to the standard libraries and add this annotation whenever we think
it's both useful and possible.

This approach mirrors the approach being used by C++11/C++14.

-Kevin