We do indeed want to make common tasks like this fairly lightweight,
but we also strive to require that the program handle possible error
cases. Currently, the code you have shows well what one would expect
when reading a line of input. On today's master, you might be able to
shorten it slightly to:

    use std::io::{stdin, BufferedReader};

    fn main() {
        let mut stdin = BufferedReader::new(stdin());
        for line in stdin.lines() {
            println!("{}", line);

I'm curious thought what you think is the heavy/verbose aspects of
this? I like common patterns having shortcuts here and there!