> On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 11:53 PM, Alex Crichton <a...@crichton.co> wrote:
> >> Currently, all patches are being tested after they are approved.
> However, I
> >> think it would be of great benefit for contributors - and reviewers - to
> >> test patches before and after they're approved.
> >
> > I would personally love to explore using Travis-CI for this. I think
> > this is almost exactly what travis was built for. That being said,
> > there's no way that travis could handle a full `make check` for rust.
> >
> > However, perhaps travis could handle `make check-stage0-lite` (not
> > that this rule exists yet). I think we would have to figure out how to
> > avoid building LLVM, but beyond that we *should* be able to run a
> > bunch of stage0 tests and optimistically print out the results of the
> > PR. This obviously won't catch many classes of bugs, but perhaps it
> > would be good enough for a preemptive check. The best part about this
> > is that it's almost 0 overhead of automation for us because travis
> > would handle all of it.

I enabled travis in my Rust fork and added a `make tidy` job[0].

If we can come up with what `check-stage0-lite` should actually do, I think
we could try to use travis until the testing infrastructure grows and we'll
be able to run this in our buildbot.

> $0.02 from the node.js and libuv camp: we have used Travis in the past
> but there were so many spurious test failures (with no way to debug
> them) that we moved to dedicated Jenkins instances.  In my experience,
> anything involving I/O is hit and miss with Travis.

Agreed, this sounds like a very likely scenario, that's why I didn't
recommended it to begin with. However, I guess for things like `tidy`
checks it should work fine.

[0] https://travis-ci.org/FlaPer87/rust/builds/19245016

--
Flavio (@flaper87) Percoco