You likely have already noticed, but traffic to rust-dev has decreased
dramatically in recent months. This was a result of natural changes in
project coordination at first, and then an intentional effort to phase out
the list.

In the beginning of the project there were only two places to talk about
rust: #rust and rust-dev, and they served us well for all purposes for
several years. As Rust grew though the coordination of the project moved to
different venues, conversations were happening in a number of other places,
and the purpose of rust-dev became less clear. At the same time there were
also a number of heated and essentially unmoderatable discussions that
caused many to lose faith in the effectiveness of the mailing list.

For the last few weeks the existence of rust-dev has no longer been
publicly advertised, and yesterday I made the request to Mozilla IT to shut
down the list for good. The archives will remain available since they
provide information of potential historical interest. I know some people
prefer mailing lists and to them I offer my regrets.
As of now these are the recommended places to discuss Rust:

* https://discuss.rust-lang.org - Project coordination ('internals'
discussion) and design discussion
* https://github.com/rust-lang/rfcs - PR's for fully-baked near-term
proposals, and the issue tracker for longer-term designs
* https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/rust - Specific questions
about how to use the language
* http://reddit.com/r/rust - Links, news, announcements, discussions
* The various IRC channels

In the coming weeks we will also set up a second Discourse instance for
general Rust discussion (compared to the current one at
discuss.rust-lang.org which is for 'internals'). The intent is to provide a
place for all types of discussion about Rust that will scale to the needs
of the project as it grows, and to replace some of the remaining role of
rust-dev as a general discussion forum. It is not intended to replace
either StackOverflow nor Reddit, but to complement them by accommodating
types and volumes of content that may be less appropriate for those venues.

Some of the recent conversations on this topic are:

*
https://github.com/rust-lang/meeting-minutes/blob/master/weekly-meetings/2015-01-20.md
*
https://www.reddit.com/r/rust/comments/2t405p/weekly_meeting_20150120_goodbye_view_items_deref/