I've added custom settings as described in
http://www.grotto-networking.com/SDNfun.html#doing-more-with-ryu-an-outline-application
 :

from ryu.cmd import manager
from ryu import cfg

class MyApp(app_manager.RyuApp):
    # ...

if __name__ == "__main__":
    cfg.CONF.register_cli_opts([
        cfg.StrOpt('config', default='forwarder_config.yaml',
                   help='Custom Forwarder configuration file ' \
                        '(default: $PWD/forwarder_config.yaml)')
        ], group='l7')
    manager.main(args=sys.argv)