Hi, Nicholas

What you want to know is the meanings of these field in 'Add a flow entry' API, right?
http://ryu.readthedocs.io/en/latest/app/ofctl_rest.html#add-a-flow-entry

'in_port' is used in 'match' field. It specifies an incoming port.
If 'in_port' is specified to 2, the flow matches the packet which comes from port 2.

And 'OUTPUT' action is simply to send a packet from specific port.
If 'OUTPUT: 2' is specified in 'action' field, the matched packet will be sent from port 2.

These are defined in 'A.2.3.7 Flow Match Fields' and 'A.2.5 Action Structures' in OpenFlow Spec:
https://www.opennetworking.org/images/stories/downloads/sdn-resources/onf-specifications/openflow/openflow-spec-v1.3.1.pdf

Sorry, I could not make clear what "host destination" and "host sender" are referring to.
Did you see these word in Ryu documentation or any other document?

Thanks,
Fujimoto