Hi Shivaram,

If you use openflow protocol to talk to controller, then in theory its
Openflow agent only.

The another method is,

>From the Host machine Use some standard protocol (such as SNMP) or your own
proprietry to report the statistics to the controller(obviously you need to
write the listener in the controller).  and  this can be used in   openflow
stats messages(PortStats respone)

Thanks
Suresh.