>   Debian is still at v14.8.16, but he (Hilko Bengen) has not
 >   updated any of his ports for a while, ...

This sort of thing is a frequent problem with Debian.  The latest
upload was January 2017 which is not too bad.

 >   v14.9. took two years and brought many, many fixes and i hope
 >   improvements.

I can ask for an update.  Worst case, if we are able to resolve my
issue, I can do a "non-maintainer upload" to a private Debian repo.

 >  |I'm a little disconcerted to see that the
 >  |meaning of askcc and askbcc has changed.  In the old version, "ask"
 >  |meant "always ask."  In version 14.8.16, which I have now, "ask" means
 >  |"ask only if empty."  This default is not good for me, and I submit
 >  |that it is not good for others.  Consider the failure modes:
 >  |  - In the old behavior, I get an opportunity to edit a cc: list even
 >  |    if I don't want to edit it.  No animals are harmed.
 >  |  - In the new behavior, I have no opportunity to edit a nonempty cc:
 >  |    list, and I send the mail with the wrong cc: list.  I have already
 >  |    done this several times.
 >
 > I am sorry for the latter.  I can offer no possibility to work
 > around this for v14.8.16!
 >
 >   I think i have changed it because it only matters in interactive
 >   compose mode, and then -- i think i have asked the ML for
 >   feedback before doing that?  Ah, no, i just have mentioned in an
 >   otherwise cryptic message, oh dear, not worth looking at [1] --
 >   you have been interactive.
 >
 >   I would not do it like that at all.  I think the best would be,
 >   in interactive mode, once compose mode is left, to always print
 >   a summary of the envelope headers, maybe even with the subject,
 >   and ask for send-confirmation.  The same summary you have seen
 >   (unless *editalong* is set) on compose mode entry when some kind
 >   of `reply' is going on, not when you come in from the command
 >   line or via `mail'.

I'm having trouble understanding your scenario---partly because I
don't have the vocabulary, for which I apologize.  I guess I am
imagining something along the lines of what happens when I do ~h,
which I really want only when I ask for it, not on every send.

Having to confirm every send is not always a good plan: confirmation
becomes a reflex action and so just lengthens the workflow.

 >   2BSD Mail had *askcc*.  *askcc* and *askbcc* are standardized.
 >   Looking at Unix V10 mail: it offered what i thought is best,

Which was?

 >   but does not allow reentering compose mode, which i think should
 >   be possible.

I love the idea of being able to reenter compose mode while in the
middle of responding to *askcc* or *askbcc*.  But I think this idea is
orthogonal to my issue.

 >   or one can set *editheaders*

*editheaders* is extremely civilized and is an excellent default.
But again, I think it and *editalong* are orthogonal to my issue.

 (now a /etc/s-nail.rc default) and
 >   *editalong* or F1 and it is all there right away, then confirm
 >   again before sending.  But, on the other hand, in the other window
 >   i just have read in V10 mailx's collect.c:
 >
 >                 if (hp->h_subject == NOSTR && value("asksub"))
 >                         c |= GSUBJECT;
 >   /* adb: due to popular demand, these were moved to the end of the letter
 >    * adb:         if (hp->h_cc == NOSTR && value("askcc"))
 >    * adb:                 c |= GCC;
 >    * adb:         if (hp->h_bcc == NOSTR && value("askbcc"))
 >    * adb:                 c |= GBCC;
 >    * adb */

Here's what I'm seeing from Heirloom mailx, sendout.c line 981:

        if (value("interactive") != NULL) {
                if (((value("bsdcompat") || value("askatend"))
                                        && (value("askcc") != NULL ||
                                        value("askbcc") != NULL)) ||
                                value("askattach") != NULL ||
                                value("asksign") != NULL) {
                        if (value("askcc") != NULL)
                                grabh(hp, GCC, 1);
                        if (value("askbcc") != NULL)
                                grabh(hp, GBCC, 1);
                        if (value("askattach") != NULL)
                                hp->h_attach = edit_attachments(hp->h_attach);
                        if (value("asksign") != NULL)
                                dosign = yorn("Sign this message (y/n)? ");
                } else {
                        printf(catgets(catd, CATSET, 183, "EOT\n"));
                        fflush(stdout);
                }
        }

You'll see that when *askatend* and *askcc* are set, it asks for Cc:
regardless of the current value of hp->h_cc.  This is the behavior I am
hoping for.

 >  |I would like Steffen to consider whether reversion to the old behavior
 >  |might be a good idea.  If not, I am going to beg for an option that
 >  |means "really, really ask, even if the list is nonempty."
 >
 > You mean if during development of the discussion it becomes useful
 > or interesting to extend the list of participants, and ~h or ~p
 > need activity and disturb the precious flow of thoughts and are
 > later easily forgotten, which once was catched by the barrier(s)
 > that *askb?cc* represented?

I agree that ~h definitely disturbs the flow of thoughts; I use it rarely.

The workflow I have in mind is a little different, which is after the
message is fully composed, to be forced to consider whether recipients
ought to be added to the cc: list.  Or even more important, *removed*
from the cc: list.  I want to be forced to consider this question (and
only this question) on every send.

 > Ok.  I will reenable the old behaviour for v14.9.4 and release not
 > later than 2017-09-02/3, all right?

Sounds great!  At that time I will be insanely busy (school about to
start), but assuming I can get a Debian package built, I will try to
beta test it for you.

Norman