Hello Mr. Bell.

Sorry for the late reply, i was not online yesterday (but for
short weather forecast deep in the night), and am in a hurry now..

russellb...@gmail.com wrote in
 <202102171311.11hdbvaw017...@randytool.net>:
 | When I run I get:
 |
 | mailx: Creating file (dot) lock for /var/spool/mail/russell . failed
 | mailx:   Fishy!  Is someone trying to "steal" foreign files?
 | mailx:   Please check the mailbox file etc. manually, then retry
 | mailx: Unable to (dot) lock mailbox, aborting operation: Resource \
 | temporarily unavailable
 | mailx: Creating file (dot) lock for /var/spool/mail/russell . failed
 | mailx:   Fishy!  Is someone trying to "steal" foreign files?
 | mailx:   Please check the mailbox file etc. manually, then retry
 | mailx: Unable to (dot) lock mailbox: Resource temporarily unavailable
 | mailx: There are new messages in the error message ring (denoted by \
 | ERROR),
 | mailx:   which can be managed with the `errors' command
 | ERROR# Continue, possibly losing changes [yes]/no? yes
 |
 |It quits whether I answer yes or no.

If you start an instance on a box with this problem ahead, yes.
This is a hack yet (the question and the wait), at least one could
now save away the box with problems.  Sigh.

 | mailx v14.9.21, 2021-01-21 (built for Linux)
 |
 | mail -f /var/spool/mail/russell
 |
 |works.

How so?  Have you configured *disable-dotlock* for this instance,
or have you removed the fishy file in the spool directory?

 | The version hasn't changed January 24 but Slackware did
 |re-build against glibc 2.33 that day.  I'd hope that wouldn't matter.

The error message above happens when user or group of a file
changes in between the first and the second access.  It is
entirely non-transparent and has to be changed, it seems. :(

Ciao, Mr. Bell,

--steffen