Hello Arne.

..but on the list is better indeed.

Arne Wörner wrote in
 <OSOCBAPV.DLB4KZAA.RR7IQJ3M@FRLAPJEX.AX3QNOOX.5QK5J4ZQ>:
 |On 2022-07-28T17:15:02TAI, Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
 |>|when I send an email with /bin/mail at 2022-07-28T04:48:54+00:00:37,
 |>|then s-mailx writes:
 |>|Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 04:48:54 +0000
 |>
 |> And what did you expect?
 |>
 |exim would convert the timestamp to UTC and
 |write "Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2022 04:48:17 +0000"...

Well .. i had to look, but i hardly can imagine that exim applies
any special massage there.  You normally use the standard
functions gmtime(3) and localtime(3) for these things, or you link
against a special library which does such, i *think* ICU offers
data and time conversion too, but i only looked a little bit, and
a decade has passed since.  And localtime(3), on Linux, usually
works according to /etc/localtime.

 |> What is it that i should fix?
 |>
 |I would find it cool, if s-mailx could detect that situation itself.
 |But of course I can use my wrapper script, too...
 |The question is, if s-mailx should mention,
 |that it cannot produce an RFC5322-compliant timestamp in the TAI zone.

How should i detect this?  We use the localtime(3) function for
local time, and the gmtime(3) function for GMT.
Doing this all on our own is a very hard thing to do, you need to
be able to parse all forms of the $TZ environment variable, and
you need to get a portable notion of where to get the zone name
from otherwise (like readlink(2) /etc/localtime).

Apart from that i personally am total opposed to dropping leap
seconds and solar time.  CLOCK_TAI for programming purposes ok,
but a TAI time zone?  I do not even own a watch.

 |> If it is that you want some standard to include CLOCK_TAI, oh yes,
 |> that i would love to see myself.  Much better than fiddling around
 |> with the link of civil time to solar time.  But CLOCK_TAI is not
 |> that widely supported, nor are the mechanisms in the kernel
 |> everywhere.  :(
 |>
 |We do not need CLOCK_TAI...

Better it would be.

 |I think my zoneinfo file makes fiddling around with 61-second long \
 |minutes unnecessary,
 |because: There are no such minutes in TAI zone...

So then.  And exim fits that perfect environment?

--steffen