The replacement trucks for the PA's are from former
PRR FM Erie Built B units that were sold a long time
ago to a company with the initials RMAX. If I remember
correctly, they were stripped and used somehow in the
process of making weled rail. I believe that there were
four B units altogether that ended up this way. Anyway,
they were in Canada when the trucks were removed from
them for the PA's.

Now the Erie Built, which was FM's version of the Alco
PA, was not very successful, and the A's became extinct
a long time ago. But, it would have been nice to save two
B units, especially if there were four left, and at least
cosmetically restore them, and fabricating a new front
for one to make it an A unit. From old photographs and
drawings at least a close resemblance could be made to the
original  FM design.

Didn't some S gauge manufacturer make an FM Erie Built,
or plan to?

I guess that we should be happy that two FM A units, both CP
C-Liners, are preserved, and maybe some of the C-Liner B
units that were made into radio control cars are still around, too.

It's really amazing what is being done to the PA being restored
to become NKP 190. Hopefully it will be running one day.
I am sure that Lionel would make a set, and perhaps American
Models will, too.

An interesting fact about the PA's is that only six railroads owned
both A's and B's - UP, PRR, NYC, Santa Fe, SP, and Rio Grande.
A lot more railroads owned just the A units - MP, Southern, Wabash,
NKP, LV, Erie (later EL), Cotton Belt, P&LE, D&H, NH, GM&O,
and MKT. Being an American Flyer fan, I was pretty disappointed
when I found out that NP never had PA's, that NH never painted PA's
like AF did, nor were any Santa Fe PA's painted blue and yellow.
(Some red and silver Santa Fe's were used briefly in freight service,
though.) Somehow it never bothered me that AF left out the middle
wheelset in each truck. I still like them, though.

Mike Vana  Omaha, NE.



S-Trains list sponsor: http://www.americanflyertrains.com
All the Flyer you desire...books and accessories too!

To UNSUBSCRIBE from this list send a note to [EMAIL PROTECTED] 

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 


Reply via email to