Alan:

I have two questions:

First, your uncle, who is a valued member of this list,  has been trying to
describe what you have been adding to his trains, but his descriptions
haven't been precise enough to replicate.  Could you please describe for us
exactly what you have done that has proved helpful?

I feel that most Gilbert solenoids are robust enough that the large but
brief voltage spikes that sometimes occur during derailments, etc, will not
harm them because these spikes do not last long enough to overheat the
solenoid windings.  Of course, any solid state components, small
capacitors, etc,  are vulnerable to these spikes.

What might be more helpful is some sort of inexpensive thermal cutout that
temporarily opens the circuit if overheating occurs.  Any ideas on this?

Second, Gilbert motors arc too much at the commutators.  Excess commutator
and brush wear result.  I have been looking for an explanation and solution
for this problem for a long time.  Lionel motors, for example, which are
about the same size, do not  arc anywhere near as much.  Is there some kind
of device that can be placed across the brush tubes that would reduce this
arcing?  I have tried non polarized capacitors of different sizes with no
success.

Thanks for your input.  Looking forward to exchanging ideas with you.

Tom Jarcho
Contributing Editor, S Gaugian Magazine



S-Trains list sponsor: http://www.americanflyertrains.com
All the Flyer you desire...books and accessories too!

To UNSUBSCRIBE from this list send a note to [EMAIL PROTECTED] 

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 


Reply via email to