While this feature is fantastic, I can't find a lot of detail on it in general.
I wonder how to disable it?

During initial uploads at least, our DirectConnect link seems to be faster in
copying the files themselves than s3cmd is at telling S3 to "remote copy"
objects.

Would that simply be using s3cmd switch  --no-check-md5 ?

This would seem likely to reduce the RAM required to enumerate the source files
too?

Thanks,
Mike