Hi,

s3cmd is great, I use it to backup most of my projects. But with this one I
am having some difficulty. I really need the data to be encrypted on its
way to s3 and inside. Can anyone offer me advice on how to do that
securely...

When I run

s3cmd sync --server-side-encryption --recursive -v -v -v /backups
s3://conciliation-backup/mars-org/today/

I get the following response

INFO: Compiling list of local files...
INFO: Running stat() and reading/calculating MD5 values on 1 files, this
may take some time...
INFO: Retrieving list of remote files for
s3://conciliation-backup/mars-org/today/ ...
ERROR: [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed
(_ssl.c:581)

If I monkey patch ssl as described here
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0476/ then I can use https without the
error, but I think that is only working by not checking properly.

I can only find other people having similar problems when they use s3
services they are hosting themselves rather than amazon's

I am running

s3cmd version 1.5.0-rc1
Python 2.7.9 (default, Mar  1 2015, 12:57:24)
[GCC 4.9.2] on linux2

inside a docker container that is built using

FROM postgres
RUN apt-get update && apt-get install -y \
  s3cmd
ADD root/* /root/
RUN mkdir -p /backups/sql
CMD python /root/backup.py

I am using the postgres container so it has the right version of pg_dump to
dump from the database.

I need the data to be encrypted on its way to s3 and inside. Can anyone
offer me advice on how to do that securely.

Thanks

Dan