We are seeing (and have seen online references to) random connection reset errors during put operations.  Following online hints, we have seen these errors fixed by using
  • the --region=<region> command line argument  (odd, since it is not noted to effect the put command)
  • setting the bucket region in the config file via both
    • the hostbase=s3-<region>.amazonaws.com and
    • the host_bucket = %(bucket)s.s3-<region>.amazonaws.com
configuration setting (its in unclear which is having the effect)
Neither of these works 100% of the time; so far we hope the combination will prove to be robust.

File size seems unrelated to the error - we have successful 500MiB uploads followed by 3 MiB file upload failures.

When we get the errors, they last for some indeterminate period (portions of an hour up to several hours), long enough to be certain the above settings resolve the issue (testing with and without the settings show success and failure during an extended, hour or so long, testing period.)  Again, none of the settings works 100% of the time - oddly sometimes one setting works and the other does not, and vice versa.

This seems like something that
  • Should be addressed internally by the s3cmd
    • you could perhaps determine the bucket region and explicitly use that region
    • or use any other method the team determines will make the command robust
  • Should be posted in a FAQ (with clear instructions for what work around(s) help) in the interim
Thanks -

Stephen