? ????? ??????

I have changed the subject line, as the topic differs somewhat.

No, not immediately, because right now I have deadlines to meet for paid work,
so I have Windows running. Insha'Allah, I will take a screenshot later
tonight. But it happens as soon as I install the nVidia driver for my Quadro
NVS 450 card, whether through synaptics from the distro or whether through the
(latest) driver package downloaded from nVidia itself, and then switch to
xinerama. The result is just one big desktop (7680 x 1080) without any panels
or any clickable buttons anywhere, except that right-clicking (anywhere on the
desktop) brings up a dialog that allows me to create a new document and things
like that. I have not tried without xinerama enabled, because having four
monitors all showing the same picture would be useless, of course.

I have learned that I first must enable Crtl-Alt-Backspace before installing
nVidia, otherwise there is no way out except pushing the power button ...

This was the case with all Ubuntu based distros that I have tried. If I
install Debian (6.0.3) directly, the system won't even start after
installation has completed. Even when I set acpi=off and blacklist=nouveau.

Therefore, I think it is a nVidia compatibility issue with Gnome 2 with compiz
and with Gnome 3.

During installation, the distros, except Debian, always detect that there
actually are four monitors.

Another issue is that Gnome (even without effects) appears to be using so much
RAM that VMware cannot run in Unity mode without the system locking up (not be
confused with the Ubuntu Unity desktop; these are two different things that
are both called Unity). This might be a video RAM issue, not system RAM, but I
am not sure of that.

However, VMware even has difficulty running in its Unity mode on Xubuntu, so I
will next try Parallels instead (for that, Gnome or KDE is required).

Wassalam,

AbdulRahiem