South Asia Citizens Wire - 12 Oct 2017 - No. 2957
[via South Asia Citizens Web - sacw.net since 1996]

Contents:
1. Nobel Peace Prize winner ICAN has disarmed critics. The nukes are next |
Vidya Shankar Aiyar
2. The Rise of MaBaTha - Extreme Buddhist Nationalism in Myanmar
3. Pakistan: The Promise of Democracy - The triumph of populism 1971-1973 | S.
Akbar Zaidi
4. India becoming dangerous for intellectuals, social activists | Pushkar Raj
5. WESO REPORT 2017: Global unemployment reached 201 million people, says new
ILO report

6. Recent on Communalism Watch:
 - India: Religious body SGPC to take back the Shiromani Patarkar Award from
Kuldip Nayar
 - India: Lord Ram's statue in Ayodhya part of govt's Hindutva agenda for 2019
elections?
 - India: Fatwa by Darul-Uloom Deoband prohibits women from cutting hair
 - India: Mukul Kesavan on Liberals and the anti-Modi Right
 - India: Amid controversy over Buddhist-Muslim union, Stanzin Saldon, Murtaza
Agha get wedding reception
 - Important suggestion from UGC panel regarding universities - Drop ‘Muslim’
from AMU, ‘Hindu’ from BHU names
 - India - Kerala: Questioning Islam is taboo - Interview with K S Radhakrishnan

::: URLs & FULL TEXT :::
7.'Braid chopping' claims in Kashmir spark mass panic and mob violence |
Michael Safi and Azhar Farooq
8. Ken-Betwa linkage will destroy India’s mini Grand Canyon | Himanshu Thakkar
9. India: No second coming for Anna - A bogus morality is dangerous | Harish
Khare
10. I’m Indian. Can I Write Black Characters? | Thrity Umrigar
11. The growing ‘tug-of-war’ between Pakistan’s spy agencies | F.M. Shakil
12. India: The citizens’ corner | Narayani Gupta
13. India: Learning from history | Neera Chandhoke
14. The Myth of Women’s ‘Empowerment’ | Rafia Zakaria
15. Freud's Furniture | Scott McLemee

1. NOBEL PEACE PRIZE WINNER ICAN HAS DISARMED CRITICS. THE NUKES ARE NEXT |
Vidya Shankar Aiyar
The peace Nobel to ICAN has disarmed many of its critics. It’s a recognition
that ridding the world of nuclear weapons is not an idealist’s fantasy, but a
robust action plan
http://www.sacw.net/article13520.html

2. THE RISE OF MABATHA - EXTREME BUDDHIST NATIONALISM IN MYANMAR
based groups like the Association for the Protection of Race and Religion
(MaBaTha), the government should address underlying causes and reframe the
debate on Buddhism’s place in society and politics.
http://www.sacw.net/article13518.html

3. PAKISTAN: THE PROMISE OF DEMOCRACY - THE TRIUMPH OF POPULISM 1971-1973 | S.
Akbar Zaidi
WITH the surrender of Pakistani troops on December 16, 1971, in Dhaka,
Bangladesh came into being, and with that, the end of the Pakistan that
Quaid-i-Azam Mohammad Ali Jinnah had originally created. It also resulted in
the end of 13 years of military rule in what remained of the country.
http://www.sacw.net/article13492.html

4. INDIA BECOMING DANGEROUS FOR INTELLECTUALS, SOCIAL ACTIVISTS | Pushkar Raj
When journalist Gauri Lankesh was shot dead in front of her house early last
month, quite a few writers and social activists in India must have felt a chill
down their spines as the country steadily becomes a dangerous place for
intellectuals.
http://www.sacw.net/article13519.html

5. WESO REPORT 2017: GLOBAL UNEMPLOYMENT REACHED 201 MILLION PEOPLE, SAYS NEW
ILO REPORT
The World Employment and Social Outlook 2017: Sustainable enterprises and jobs
http://www.sacw.net/article13517.html

6. RECENT ON COMMUNALISM WATCH:
 - India: Religious body SGPC to take back the Shiromani Patarkar Award from
Kuldip Nayar
 - India: Lord Ram's statue in Ayodhya part of govt's Hindutva agenda for 2019
elections?
 - India: Fatwa by Darul-Uloom Deoband prohibits women from cutting hair
 - India: Mukul Kesavan on Liberals and the anti-Modi Right
 - Hindi Article: Communalism and Freedom of Expression

 -> available via: http://communalism.blogspot.com/

::: URLs & FULL TEXT :::
7.'BRAID CHOPPING' CLAIMS IN KASHMIR SPARK MASS PANIC AND MOB VIOLENCE
by Michael Safi in Delhi and Azhar Farooq in Srinagar
(The Guardian, 11 October 2017)

Briton and Australians among several people briefly detained by vigilantes in
unrest over alleged attacks on women’s hair
A protest in Srinagar this month over alleged ‘braid choppings’. Photograph:
Zuma/Rex/Shutterstock

A British woman and three Australians have been briefly detained by vigilantes
amid mass panic in Indian-administered Kashmir over a spate of alleged “braid
choppings”.

Police in the Himalayan region say they have received reports of at least 40
instances of women’s hair being forcibly cut by unidentified assailants.

Though the veracity of the claims has been questioned, they have sparked mob
violence and mass protests, and some young women say they are too afraid to
leave their homes.

The first alleged incidents were reported on 14 September in the restive
southern districts of the disputed state, and the reports have now spread to
its capital, Srinagar.

Vigilante groups armed with axes and wooden boards have been formed in some
neighbourhoods in response to the alleged attacks. At least 12 people,
including the tourists, have required police to rescue them from mobs.

The British and Australian travellers, accompanied by an Irish and South Korean
national, became lost at around 2am on Sunday while en route to Srinagar.

“They were checking their mobiles asking me to go right and left,” their
driver, Abid Hussain, told the Guardian. “At one point they asked me to stop
and said they had reached the hotel.

“One of them went down to check the hotel and shouted to open the door. Within
seconds a crowd of 1,000 or more people had gathered. It was very scary,” he
said.

Consular officials said the group were quickly set free unharmed, but police
say several other people have been “beaten and thrashed severely” by the
vigilantes.

Police are at a loss to explain the alleged crimes but have doubled the reward
for information about the culprits to 600,000 rupees (£7,000). The government
has called emergency meetings and put local officials on high alert.

Popular anger culminated on Monday with protests across Kashmir, many led by
women, that shut businesses and schools and were dispersed by police in riot
gear using smoke shells. A five-year-old boy was seriously injured in the
unrest.

The claims made by some alleged victims give few clues for police to pursue and
are more akin to ghost stories than crime reports. Bilqees Jan told the
Guardian she had been cooking cheese in her home when she felt someone grab
hold of her hair.

“I thought it was my son, but then I was dragged and I thought my son cannot do
it,” Jan, 35, said. “I could only see that the person was wearing a black
dress. I don’t know whether the person was man or woman.

“When I tried to scream, another person sprayed something on my face and I fell
unconscious,” she said. “I gained consciousness at a hospital. For the next two
days I had no idea what was happening around me. Even now I am very scared. I
sit under a blanket and feel scared at every knock.”

A police official, Parvez Ahmad, said investigating Jan’s allegations was
challenging because she had a history of severe mental health problems,
experiencing hallucinations even as she was being interviewed by officers.

Another alleged victim, Safoora Ashraf, 13, said she had been studying when she
felt someone touch her hair. “I ignored it. Then I heard someone jump out the
window and when I went to see, there was no one. When I returned to my place I
saw my chopped braid there,” she said.

In Kulgam district, where 13 braid chopping incidents have been reported, the
police superintendent Shridhar Patil said he was exploring several leads,
including personal grudges involving victims, “love triangles” and
psychological illness. The majority of the complainants in his district either
had a history of mental illness or regularly visited faith healers, he added.
India’s crackdown in Kashmir: is this the world’s first mass blinding?
Read more

As with many events in Indian-controlled Kashmir, where a bloody insurgency has
raged since 1989, the braid chopping has taken on political dimensions.
Separatist leaders have claimed the attacks are an Indian government conspiracy
to undermine the independence movement and “the dignity of our womenfolk”.

Armed militants say it is a strategy by intelligence agencies to inhibit their
free movement. The fighters use sympathetic villages as hideouts and staging
grounds for attacks – a much more difficult enterprise when villagers are
paranoid of any outsiders.

Government officials in Kashmir have been ordered to keep quiet about the
issue, but a senior psychiatrist at a public hospital in Srinagar said
“unscientific” police investigations were complicating the cases and creating
unnecessary fear.

“It has reached a level where nothing can be concluded,” he said, speaking on
condition of anonymity. “Since there is a reward now, that means officially
[police] are searching for someone. This entire episode needs multi-dimensional
assessment, which includes law enforcement agencies, forensic and mental health
experts.”

A panic over braid chopping swept northern India earlier this year, with more
100 cases reported in Delhi and neighbouring states. Dr Sudhir Khandelwal, a
former head of the psychiatry department at the All India Institute of Medical
Sciences, said he had not examined the Kashmir incidents but was certain the
alleged attacks earlier in the year were part of a “mass hysteria”.

No suspects were identified and the cases did not stand up to thorough forensic
examination, he said. “In right-handed individuals, the braid chopping
conformed to their right-handedness, and the same with left-handed people. All
these people were getting attention, going on TV, being quoted in newspapers.
So we believe it was a mass hysteria, an attention-seeking phenomenon.”

He said the families of future victims should seek out doctors before going to
the police. “In many of these cases people will be found to have psychological
conflicts,” he said.

8. KEN-BETWA LINKAGE WILL DESTROY INDIA’S MINI GRAND CANYON
By Himanshu Thakkar (Asia Times - October 3, 2017)
http://www.atimes.com/indias-grand-canyon-will-drown-ken-betwa-linkage/

The Tribune, October 6, 2017

ANNA HAZARE, that tired but persistent theoretician of a moral society, has
again been heard from. On Gandhi Jayanti, he popped up for a photo-op at Raj
Ghat and expressed himself to be thoroughly unhappy at the way things have
worked out these last three years; in particular, he appears to be annoyed that
there is no sign of a Lok Pal, the presumably magical piece of legislation that
the India Against Corruption cabal had waved so earnestly before a credulous
nation. It is a measure of how the times have changed that, with a minor
exception here or there, most newspapers relegated the Old Gandhian to the
inside pages.

When he threatens to resurrect his anti-corruption movement, it becomes
difficult to decide whether Anna Hazare is an incorrigible fool or a very, very
shrewd old man. It is quite possible that he has cunningly sensed that the Modi
sarkar has become wobbly and that it has rendered itself vulnerable to public
anger after having so brazenly abused and misused people’s confidence to
indulge in its whims and fancies. Any regime that enters this zone of doubtful
respectability invites poaching from moral archers of the Anna Hazare type.

Or, is he too simple a man who continues to believe genuinely that he led a
genuine ‘anti-corruption’ movement in 2011? Granted, his movement attracted
honest, idealistic souls to his corner at the Ram Lila ground, those who
thought that a ‘change’ was possible. Well, a kind of ‘change’ did take place.
Simply put, Anna Hazare ended up preparing the ground for a new regime to come
to power. This Anna has to be a very, very simple man to believe that he can
once again recapture public imagination and that he can summon agitated souls
to rally around his banner.

Gandhians make poor insurgents —unless there is a shrewd Mohandas in charge of
both tactics and strategy. Anna is no Gandhi. He was just an earnest man, who
wore a Gandhi cap (which the Mahatma never needed). He is entitled to feel that
he has been betrayed by his spear carriers — the Kiran Bedis, the Arvind
Kejriwals — but he remains curiously innocent about the very nature of the
movement that was put together in his name.

The India Against Corruption was a perfect platform to bring together assorted
babas, NGOs, media moguls; there was corporate funding, and retired
intelligence hands were there to lend a hand with planning and disinformation.
If Anna Hazare cares to look around, he will find that since 2014, his “moral
army” has been the principal supplier for raj niwas’, Parliament and
assemblies, councils of ministers, etc.

That is not enough. The babas have become entrepreneurs, presiding over
multi-billion-rupee empires; prospering with government patronage and
protection; and, behind-the-scenes strategists now man national security
portals. The political capital the Anna Hazare movement generated has been
encashed to the last rupee. And, above all, all that flag-waving at Ram Lila
ground was rather cleverly choreographed, preparing the ground for the carnival
of a resentful nationalism.

Some may find it charming that he refuses to see that he had already been once
taken for a ride; but he should not be encouraged to think that he can
replicate his “movement” again. No society will allow itself to be hoodwinked a
second time. We feel morally cheated. Those who proffered themselves as our
saviours and social cleansers have turned out to be very ordinary political
operatives, if not worse.

Nor will he be allowed to pitch his tent. In hindsight, it can be suggested
that in 2011, Anna faced a rather benign adversary. The Manmohan Singh regime
was a decent arrangement. Anna will discover that he has underestimated the
official ruthlessness the New India is capable of unleashing on all those who
decide to annoy it.

 More pointedly, the global context has disappeared; the Arab Spring has turned
out to be a State Department sleight of hand; none of the countries subjected
to a presumably moral renewal has experienced peace, harmony or political
stability. The Indian middle classes get easily frightened at the slightest
hint of disorder and they are ready to run to the safety offered by this or
that strong man. The moral economy of Arab Spring disintegrated long ago. The
Anna movement was part of this global subversive project; but, now, there is a
businessman and a deal-maker in the White House.

Nor will corporate India dare to offer any kind of comfort to a second Anna
movement. The corporates today make a deeply tamed crowd, barely managing to
survive the inspired governmental incompetence in handling the economy.

Media was a powerful ally in the anti-corruption movement. This time round,
Anna will discover that the media has found it profitable to sup with the big
boss; it no longer thinks of itself as an ally of the underdog in his fight
against the daily ritual injustice and indifference; it has enrolled itself in
the nationalistic cause. Even if Anna was to find another bunch of innocent
souls to help him try to re-enact the Jantar Mantar tableau of righteousness
and disapproval, he will find the media laughing him out of town.

Above all, we are an emotionally exhausted society. The creative power of our
passions is degraded every night. A slow intellectual haemorrhage is inflicted
on our collective sanity. Our righteousness has been so subtly, so shabbily —
and, so toxically — directed against Pakistan. Our anger has been channelled —
and wasted — against the Left, minorities and other assorted deshdrohis.

The Prime Minister has abused our trust; he asked us to trust him because he
came from a poor family and then made millions of poor, honest and hard-working
people stand in line to get their own hard-earned money while the fat cats were
able to work out deals with the Ashoka Road managers. Not only that, he told
them to feel good, feel empowered in their misery. Every week, if not every
evening, he tries to frog-march us emotionally back to his depleted leadership
corner. We are not persuaded to feel good, we are even made to feel small when
a Yashwant Sinha is mocked and jeered as a job applicant.

Today, we are an emotionally exhausted nation. Perhaps, even morally tired. We
are in a dangerous zone. There is a certain kind of moral coercion in the Anna
Hazare variety of earnestness. This is an avoidable trap because it ends up in
authoritarian cul de sac.

10. I’M INDIAN. CAN I WRITE BLACK CHARACTERS?
By Thrity Umrigar
(The New York Times, Sept. 14, 2017)

In retrospect, it seems incredible I didn’t anticipate the questions.

My seventh novel, “Everybody’s Son” — about an affluent white couple, their
adopted black son, and his search for identity and reconciliation with his past
— came to me in a flash of inspiration. I wrote the story in a white heat, in
about four months.

So I was unprepared for what interviewers I spoke to about the book asked me:
Why, and how, had I chosen to write from the perspective of an African-American
protagonist? I hadn’t expected this line of inquiry to come up because,
although race and racial identity are central preoccupations of the book, I saw
Anton not just as a black character, but as a singular, distinctive character
born of my imagination and efforts.

I soon realized I had been naïve. While I might define myself as an American
writer, I grew up in India. That means, to many, I’ll always be an
Indian-American writer, with all the freight that the hyphen carries.

The assumption by agents, editors and readers was that I would continue writing
novels featuring Indian characters or set in India — as I did in my first six
novels — even though I have not lived there for over 30 years.

But I’ve always thought about it this way: If men can write about women and
science fiction writers can write about space aliens, surely I can write about
someone from a different race. And I have spent my entire adult life in the
United States. Why shouldn’t I write about that most American of topics — race
and race relations?

The debate about whether writers should create worlds and characters based in
cultures other than their own is an important one. At its core, pushback in
this area serves as a corrective to centuries of colonialism, stereotypical
portrayals and racist caricatures. But I worry about how we balance pertinent
questions about appropriation with the creative freedom to push boundaries and
take risks that are essential to good writing.

To add another wrinkle to this debate, I have never been asked about the
appropriateness of creating white American characters, as I did in an earlier
novel, “The Weight of Heaven.” Of course, this probably has to do with our
country’s ignoble history of racism and racist stereotypes, especially about
African-Americans. There’s justifiably less concern about misrepresentation of
white Americans.

In my career, the skeptical questions about my decision to write black
characters have been balanced by the emails I’ve received from black women.
Another novel, “The Story Hour,” is about the friendship between an
African-American therapist and an Indian immigrant. The therapist, Maggie, is a
well-adjusted professional in a loving marriage. Black women wrote to thank me
for this. Often I had tears in my eyes when I read their notes. How low is the
bar, how badly do we portray black women in this country, I’d think, that
readers feel compelled to thank me for a single fair fictional depiction?

The black woman who is my protagonist’s birth mother in “Everybody’s Son” is
very different. She’s addicted to crack and leaves her son locked up in a hot
apartment while she goes searching for drugs. If that is all that you know
about the book, you’d think that this Indian-American writer was indulging in
poisonous stereotypes about black women. But there is also the white father,
who epitomizes white privilege and uses his power to get what he wants. In
fact, one of the things I wanted to explore is the limits of white liberal
piety.

Literature is about empathy. If I have done my job well, the reader will
understand the forces working against my protagonist’s mother and how, despite
her one terrible mistake, she is still the person her son believes her to be —
a good parent.

I operate in an industry where I have been told to my face that a publishing
house won’t look at my book because they “already have an Indian-American
writer.” I have made my peace with the fact that I have to defer to the
publisher’s expertise about the realities of the marketplace. But to limit
myself to write books only about India is to condemn me to tell the same
stories. And that kind of pigeonholing is a creative death.

So, I will continue to tell the stories that I am called upon to tell. I know
I’ll spend many more interviews explaining the characters I create, and that
this tension contains its own revealing, dramatic and painful story about our
culture and history.

Thrity Umrigar is the author, most recently, of the novel “Everybody’s Son.“

Follow The New York Times Opinion section on Facebook and Twitter
(@NYTopinion), and sign up for the Opinion Today newsletter.

A version of this op-ed appears in print on September 17, 2017, on Page SR9 of
the New York edition with the headline: An American Story of Writing Across Race

11. THE GROWING ‘TUG-OF-WAR’ BETWEEN PAKISTAN’S SPY AGENCIES
By F.M. Shakil
Asia Times - October 4, 2017

Conflict between the civilian Intelligence Bureau (IB), and the military's
Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) is at boiling point, with the former accused
of overstepping constitutional bounds

Pakistan has long been beset by tensions between its civil and military
authorities. Now even its spy agencies seem to be at loggerheads, with
accusations of political maneuvering and the overstepping of constitutional
bounds being leveled at the government’s Intelligence Bureau (IB).

The civilian watchdog – under instruction from a ruling Pakistan Muslim League
(Nawaz) administration whose grip on power looks ever-more shaky – has been
carrying out round-the-clock surveillance of the judiciary, opposition parties
and military intelligence for some time.

It is known that officials from the military’s Inter-Services Intelligence
(ISI) agency had their phone calls listened to at the height of civil-military
tensions in 2014, following an attempt on the life of the Geo TV anchor Hamid
Mir, who said he suspected ISI involvement. The order to bug their phones
allegedly came from the now-deposed Prime Minister, Nawaz Sharif, himself.

The bubbling rivalry between the IB and ISI boiled over in June this year when
a Joint Investigation Team (JIT) probing alleged money laundering by the Sharif
family made a written complaint to the Supreme Court that the IB was
wiretapping JIT members, including ISI and Military Intelligence (MI)
personnel. Other JIT members from the National Accountability Bureau (NAB), the
Federal Investigation Agency (FIA), the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) and the
Security & Exchange Commission of Pakistan (SECP) were also alleged to have had
their phones bugged.

The JIT further reported that the IB was hampering its inquiries, adding that
military-led intelligence agencies were not on “good terms” with the IB. It
said the IB had collected intelligence on members of the JIT from the National
Database and Registration Authority (NADRA) and presented it to Nawaz to use
against them. The Supreme Court inquired how the IB came to be working for a
“private person” instead of the state, adding that – as it owed its loyalty to
the latter – it seemed, prima facie, to have been misused.

Last week, the spy agencies’ hostilities again echoed in court when an IB
officer moved a petition at the Islamabad High Court (IHC) to have his seniors’
alleged protection of different national and transnational terrorist
organizations probed by the ISI.

In his petition, the IB’s Assistant Sub-Inspector, Malik Mukhtar Ahmed Shahzad,
claimed to have filed “reports against various terrorist groups having roots in
Uzbekistan, Iran, Afghanistan, Syria and India and providing evidence but no
action was taken by the IB in this respect.”

The court, however, remarked that the ISI could not be authorized to carry out
an investigation due to the ongoing “tug of war” between it and the IB. It
fixed October 9 as the date for the next hearing.

A call-to-attention notice was moved in Pakistan’s Senate by Farhatullah Babar
of the opposition Pakistan People’s Party on Saturday over a recent report on
intelligence agencies “sheltering” terrorist elements. Citing Maulana Masood
Azhar, Babar said the head of the banned Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) was being
shielded against UN sanctions for unknown reasons. He also hinted that Mullah
Mansoor Akhtar, a Taliban leader who was killed in a drone strike last year,
had enjoyed Pakistani intelligence protection.

Reports indicate that IB chief Aftab Sultan visited Nawaz in London last month,
on official expenses, to brief him on the latest political developments and to
take further instruction from him. The Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) demanded
Sultan’s resignation. “IB head must resign immediately. What was he doing
visiting a disqualified PM in London over 4 days at taxpayer expense?,” tweeted
the party’s leader, Imran Khan.

12. INDIA: THE CITIZENS’ CORNER | Narayani Gupta
(The Indian Express, October 11, 2017)

The site of protests in Delhi may shift from Jantar Mantar to Ramlila Maidan.
But is anyone listening?

In 1911, when Delhi, to its surprise, found itself honoured with the title of
capital of British India, it was evident that national politics would become a
real presence in the city, not just a long shadow. The open space outside the
Town Hall in Chandni Chowk became a piazza for protesters. The new city was
designed to ensure that such gatherings would not take place in New Delhi. Like
most planned capital towns, the government offices were at the centre,
surrounded by a protective swathe of open land. Kingsway matured into an
expanse of green and water. Even in the 1950s, its two kilometres saw little
traffic and few people, except at 9 in the morning and 5 in the evening when
serried rows of bicycles flowed down, bearing babus big and small to work and
then homeward.

Protest marches come in different lengths — some start at the Red Fort, others
at ITO, some only the distance between India Gate and Krishi Bhavan. Their
destinations have varied. The most defiant was that of December 2012 when
crowds swarmed up Raisina Hill. (What an opportunity the President lost when he
refused to come out!)

In the 1950s people could go up to Parliament House and shout slogans. I recall
admiring my college-going sister who, with other students from Delhi
University, assembled there and sang out, “Purtgaali, Goa Chhodo!” But the
agitators-turned-legislators wanted a greater distance between themselves and
the people. An invisible cordon was thrown round Parliament House, and the
“Boat Club” lawn on Rajpath was approved as an Indian Hyde Park Corner. This
lasted till farmers’ leader Mahendra Singh Tikait and his supporters in 1988
turned the lawns into a lively village (similar to protesting French farmers in
2010 turning the Avenue Champs Elysees literally into a champ/field). The venue
for protests was moved to the Jantar Mantar crossing. At that time I wondered
whether the Mandi House roundabout would be next, followed by the Ramlila
Maidan. Sure enough, the National Green Tribunal has suggested just this.

For the three generations from the 1940s, nostalgia is about different public
places — the kabab-ery on the India Gate lawns cheekily called “Gayladies”
(Gaylords was THE posh restaurant then) which was banished to Pandara Road; the
Connaught Place Central Park coffee house which exuded fumes of political
dissent, and which vanished during the Emergency; the gulmohur-studded Central
Park for a still older generation; open-air film shows in neighbourhood parks…
and it is but natural that if Jantar Mantar were to return to the anonymous
sleekness of a New Delhi landscape, there are many who will feel a sense of
loss.
Jantar Mantar, Jantar Mantar Protest, NGT, National Green Tribunal, ban on
protest at Jantar Mantar, protestors, protests sites in India, GST Protests,
Student protests, political protest, India News, Indian Express Activists of
various student organisations at Jantar Mantar, participating in the Chalo
Delhi rally. (Express Photo/Aaron Pereira)

The Jantar Mantar site links Jaisinghpura of the 1730s with Lutyens’ city
centre of the 1930s. The Ramlila Maidan links 14th century Tughlaq Delhi with
Shahjahanabad and with the New Delhi of the 1960s. The Ramlila was enacted
there in Mughal times and to the south were forests (jungle baahar), the shrine
named for Mata Sundri, and the endless ruins of older cities (khandraat kalan).
When the Lutyens team prepared a plan for New Delhi, they left the area from
Dilli Gate to what we call ITO un-designated. This grew into a landscape of
modern Delhi, with newspaper and administrative offices and educational
establishments. The east-west boundary has two parallel roads, each named for a
nationalist leader, Jawaharlal Nehru and Asaf Ali. The former is lined with
hospitals and a college, the other curves along Shahjahanabad’s southern
boundary, lined with business establishments. Between them lies the Ramlila
Maidan. Here, in a moment of silence, the memories of Jayaprakash Narayan’s
rally in 1975 come crowding back, and the optimism of the swearing-in of the
AAP government in 2015.

Jantar Mantar, with its shady full-grown trees, has a pleasant ambience, as has
much of Lutyens’ New Delhi. But an equally pleasant landscape can be generated
on the frontier between the two Delhis. This area could be made into a
dedicated public space, organised at different scales depending on the number
of people to be accommodated, kept scrupulously clean, with provision for
shade, for refreshments, and for people to stay overnight. A tribute to
democracy, and a way to integrate the two cities in Delhi.

To the north is Ajmeri Gate, a densely-built neighbourhood, to the south, in
counterpoint, the towering Civic Centre, depressingly gigantic, looming over
the Mughal city. In 2004, when it was under discussion, it had been suggested
by the Delhi Urban Art Commission that the Civic Centre be faithful to its
name, and create an atmosphere which welcomed its citizens, with open access to
a good library, a museum, a restaurant serving simple clean food, and extend
landscaped spaces to link New Delhi with Ajmeri and Turkman Gates, an area
which carried memories of the brutality of 1975. This would bridge the gap
between “Old” and New Delhi. Need I say that earnest assurances were given that
this would be done, and none of it was. What a pity that the designing of
public spaces in a city like Delhi is not seen as an opportunity to create an
inclusive society.

To argue that the Jantar Mantar venue is more effective because it is three
kilometres closer to Parliament House does not convince. I am not sure that the
speeches reverberate inside Herbert Baker’s circular building or his
secretariats, that MPs and officials pay any attention to the gatherings. The
mental distance is as great at Jantar Mantar as in Ramlila Maidan. It is not
measured in kilometres, it lies in the minds of men.
The writer is a historian of Delhi

13. INDIA: LEARNING FROM HISTORY | Neera Chandhoke
(The Hindu - October 12, 2017)

It’s not enough to know who killed Mahatma Gandhi — we must understand why he
was killed

On January 30, 1948, at a time when northern and eastern India continued to be
devastated by the horrors unleashed by the Partition, another appalling event
rocked the newly independent and still fragile nation, the assassination of
Mahatma Gandhi. Detective novelists tell us that hapless people are murdered
for mainly three reasons: greed, ambition and lust, not necessarily in that
order. But Nathuram Godse of the Hindu Mahasabha assassinated Gandhi because
the Mahatma stood for a world view implacably opposed to the hate-filled
rhetoric of the religious right. Gandhi was a powerful moral exemplar —
therefore, he posed a distinct threat to the dark forces of doom and
destruction. He had to be removed physically.

An individual called Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi was not murdered, an entire
perspective committed to ahimsa, toleration, and respect for other religious
traditions was sought to be obliterated. Ironically, his killers failed,
because Gandhi continues to live in our hearts, he inhabits our imaginations.
We continue to hold right-wing groups responsible for the death of a man who
defied an empire as well as obscurantism within India.

A re-investigation

Sixty-nine years down the line, Pankaj Phadnis has appealed that the Supreme
Court reinvestigate the death of Gandhi, and holds that Gandhi was killed by a
fourth bullet fired by someone else. His motive becomes clear the moment we
recognise that Mr. Phadnis is a trustee of the organisation Abhinav Bharat,
which is a part of the religious right. We also know that the complex of
right-wing groups under the umbrella of the power wielded by the Bharatiya
Janata Party seek to reduce the art of history writing to a tale told by knaves
and fools on a stormy night. They labour in vain, for history does not go away
at the wave of a wand, or by a PIL filed in a court of law. The past will sneak
in on silent feet, relentlessly intrude into the present, and compel us to
recollect murders and murderers most foul.

No country is more conscious of the persistence of the past than Germany. After
the Second World War some German scholars spoke of the need to forget. The
project was simply not doable, and soon enough intellectuals began to
acknowledge the importance of coming to terms with the Holocaust. Theodor
Adorno, the noted philosopher of the Frankfurt School of Critical Theory, spoke
of the impossibility of writing poetry after Auschwitz, or philosophising after
Auschwitz, or even living after Auschwitz. We cannot, he concluded, break free
of the past. All we can do is to come to terms with the past. More importantly,
we must learn to critically reflect on our failure to prevent groups which
trade in social hatred from dominating the present. The renowned philosopher
Jürgen Habermas continues the task of acknowledging the past, and learning from
it. A refusal to address the past results in social pathologies.

Remember the past we must, but how do we remember history? How do we remember
Gandhi, a man of whom Albert Einstein is said to have remarked that
“generations to come, it may be, will scarce believe that such a one as this
ever in flesh and blood walked upon this earth”? For a long time, scholars did
not write biographies of the man, they wrote hagiographies. Today it is
acknowledged that he made mistakes, he seriously misunderstood caste
discrimination, he went wrong in his debate with B.R. Ambedkar, he could be
authoritarian, and he had peculiar ideas on crucial issues. But we also
remember that Gandhi would rather suffer himself than impose suffering on
others. When he walked the streets, he was regarded as the embodiment of
non-violence. In contrast, when cadres of the religious right appear on our
streets, they evoke trepidation. Confronted by threats of violence, people
shiver, they run for cover. For the religious right nothing has changed since
Gandhi was killed because of his world view. Indians continue to be murdered
for the same reason — therefore, the murder of a Gauri Lankesh here, of a
Narendra Dabholkar there, of a Govind Pansare here, and of an M.M. Kalburgi
there.

This is not a whodunnit

How on earth does it matter who killed Gandhi? We are not reading a detective
novel. Nor are we concentrating on discovering clues that will lead us to the
murderer before our beloved detective, for example P.D. James’s Adam Dalgliesh,
does so. What matters is why Gandhi, and now other dissenters, are killed.
Gandhi was killed because he defended an alternative notion of politics based
on swaraj, non-violence, pursuit of the truth, and subordination of power to
ethics. Putative assassins should recollect that there is a nasty phrase for
those who prefer extermination of the opponent to debate, it is called moral
cowardice.

What do we learn from two historical narratives, of violence and of
non-violence? Violence is based upon the certainty that we know all there is to
know, and that is why others who do not conform to our views have to be
eliminated. Non-violence is based on the philosophical virtue of doubt.
Socrates, who was condemned to drink hemlock by the Athenian jury, knew he did
not know. Gandhi, who was assassinated, also knew that no one knows the truth.
I, he wrote, have been striving to serve the truth and have the courage to jump
from the Himalayas for its sake. But, he added, I know I am still very far from
that truth: “As I advance towards it, I perceive my weakness ever more clearly
and the knowledge makes me humble.”

This does not mean that we stop searching for the truth. But we are seekers,
not finders. We would do well to seek together. If persons have the moral
capacity to know the truth, but not the entire truth, then no one person or
group can claim superiority over others because their truth is the ultimate. We
also realise that just as our (partial) truth is dear to us, others’ (equally
partial) truths are bound to be dear to them. There is simply no point in
comparing world views, in grading them, or in pronouncing one conception of the
good as superior to the other.

What made Gandhi great

Gandhi himself was what he was, a great moral leader and a giver of remedies
for the maladies of the human condition, because he drew inspiration from a
variety of sources. His philosophy is indebted to four great spiritual and
moral traditions: Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism, and Christianity. Gandhian
philosophy is constituted as much by the Bhagavad Gita as it is by the Sermon
on the Mount. And he drew inspiration as much from Tolstoy and John Ruskin as
much as he drew inspiration from Vivekananda and other spiritual leaders in
India. Gandhi’s truth led inexorably in the direction of toleration.

And it is precisely toleration that we need in today’s world where dissent is
suppressed through annihilation. This lesson, the religious right, indeed
fundamentalists of every hue, need to learn. We do not tolerate others because
we alone know the truth, we tolerate because we do not know enough. Confidence
that we know the truth leads to violence, doubt that we know enough leads to
non-violence. We come to terms with history by learning from it, not by erasing
it.

Neera Chandhoke is a former Professor of Political Science at Delhi University

14. THE MYTH OF WOMEN’S ‘EMPOWERMENT’
by Rafia Zakaria
(The New York Times - Oct. 5, 2017)

For only $100, you can empower a woman in India. This manageable amount,
according to the website of the organization India Partners, will provide a
woman with her own sewing machine, allowing her to take the very first step on
the march to empowerment.

Or you can send a chicken. Poultry farming, according to Melinda Gates,
empowers women in developing countries by allowing them to “express their
dignity and seize control.”

If chickens are not your empowerment tool of choice, Heifer International will,
for $390, deliver an “enterpriser basket” to a woman in Africa. It includes
rabbits, juvenile fish and silkworms.

The assumption behind all of these donations is the same: Women’s empowerment
is an economic issue, one that can be separated from politics. It follows,
then, that it can be resolved by a benevolent Western donor who provides sewing
machines or chickens, and thus delivers the women of India (or Kenya or
Mozambique or wherever in what’s known as the “global south”) from their lives
of disempowered want.

Empowerment did not always stand for entrepreneurship starter kits. As Nimmi
Gowrinathan, Kate Cronin-Furman and I wrote in a recent report, the term was
introduced into the development lexicon in the mid-1980s by feminists from the
Global South. Those women understood “empowerment” as the task of “transforming
gender subordination” and the breakdown of “other oppressive structures” and
collective “political mobilization.” They got some of what they wanted when the
Fourth World Conference on Women in 1995 adopted “an agenda for women’s
empowerment.”

In the 22 years since that conference, though, “empowerment” has become a
buzzword among Western development professionals, but the crucial part about
“political mobilization” has been excised. In its place is a narrow,
constricted definition expressed through technical programming seeking to
improve education or health with little heed to wider struggles for gender
equality. This depoliticized “empowerment” serves everyone except the women it
is supposed to help.

In handing out chickens or sewing machines, Western feminists and development
organizations can point to the non-Western women they have “empowered.” The
non-Western subjects of their efforts can be shown off at conferences and
featured on websites. Development professionals can point to training sessions,
workshops and spreadsheets laden with “deliverables” as evidence of another
successful empowerment project.

In this system there is little room for the complexities of the recipients.
Non-Western women are reduced to mute, passive subjects awaiting rescue.

Take, for instance, the Gates Foundation’s poultry farming projects. Bill Gates
has insisted that because chickens are small animals kept close to the home,
they are particularly suited to “empowering” women. But researchers haven’t
found that giving out chickens leads to any long-term economic gains — much
less emancipation or equality for half the population.

To keep the money coming, the development industry has learned to create
metrics that suggest improvements and success. U.S.A.I.D. statistics on
Afghanistan, for instance, usually focus on the number of girls “enrolled” in
schools, even if they rarely attend class or graduate. The groups promoting
chicken farming measure the short-term impact of the chickens and the momentary
increase in household income, not the long-term, substantive changes to women’s
lives.

In such cases, there is a skirting of the truth that without political change,
the structures that discriminate against women can’t be dismantled and any
advances they do make will be unsustainable. Numbers never lie, but they do
omit.

Sometimes development organizations actually render women invisible in the
service of their narratives. One of my co-authors heard from a worker with an
anti-human trafficking group in Cambodia about a Western donor organization
filming a fund-raising video. When a woman was produced she was rejected
because she didn’t fit the image of a young, helpless survivor that donors
wanted.

When non-Western women already have strong political identities, their removal
is sometimes required even if it involves pushing them back into the very roles
from which empowerment was meant to deliver them. In Sri Lanka, a former
soldier for the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam told one of my co-authors that
she and other ex-fighters were offered classes in cake decorating, hairstyling
and sewing. A government official confessed that despite years of training
programs, she had never seen any of the women earn a living from these skills.

It’s time for a change to the “empowerment” conversation. Development
organizations’ programs must be evaluated on the basis of whether they enable
women to increase their potential for political mobilization, such that they
can create sustainable gender equality.

On the global stage, a return to this original model of empowerment requires a
moratorium on reducing non-Western women to the circumstances of their
victimhood — the rape survivor, the war widow, the child bride. The idea that
development goals and agendas should be apolitical must be discarded.

The concept of women’s empowerment needs an immediate and urgent rescue from
the clutches of the would-be saviors in the development industry. At the heart
of women’s empowerment lies the demand for a more robust global sisterhood, one
in which no women are relegated to passivity and silence, their choices limited
to sewing machines and chickens.

Rafia Zakaria (@rafiazakaria) is a columnist for Dawn and the author of “The
Upstairs Wife: An Intimate History of Pakistan.”

Follow The New York Times Opinion section on Facebook and Twitter
(@NYTopinion), and sign up for the Opinion Today newsletter.

A version of this op-ed appears in print on October 5, 2017, on Page A23 of the
New York edition with the headline: You Can’t ‘Empower’ Us With Chickens

15. FREUD'S FURNITURE
By Scott McLemee
(Inside Higher Ed - September 27, 2017)

Nathan Kravis’s On the Couch: A Repressed History of the Analytic Couch From
Plato to Freud examines why that piece of furniture ever entered the analytic
tradition and how its efficacy and centrality have now come under scrutiny,
writes Scott McLemee.

Quite a few naked women fill the pages of Nathan Kravis's On the Couch: A
Repressed History of the Analytic Couch From Plato to Freud (MIT Press). Even
those depicted as fully clothed tend to be conspicuously dishabille or sunk in
languor, if not half-asleep. A number are mythological figures; none are
patients. The painter or photographer (or, in the case of the oldest images,
mosaic maker or relief carver) gazes at them full-on -- unlike the
psychoanalyst, who normally sits perpendicular to the couch, with an ear turned
to the analysand.

This arrangement, established by Freud himself, turned into one of the
definitive protocols of “orthodox” analysis (along with 50-minute sessions
conducted four or five times a week) as well as the premise of countless New
Yorker cartoons. That a piece of furniture has become practically synonymous
with psychoanalysis seems odd given how little the founder said about the
couch. And when he did, as in the paper “On Beginning the Treatment” (1913),
it’s clear that the practice originally had “a personal motive, but one which
others may share, namely: ‘I cannot put up with being stared at by other people
for eight hours a day (or more).’”

OK, but still: Why a couch? For as Kravis points out, having the patient sit in
a chair, suitably angled, would presumably do the trick just as well. Freud
refers to having the patient assume a reclining position as a “ceremonial”
aspect of the treatment. Someone unimpressed by psychoanalysis’s claim to the
status of a science might well take this as an inadvertent admission that the
technique is grounded in ritual, not research. In that case, the unconscious
and the superego are mythological figures, too, just like Venus and Cupid.

The efficacy and centrality of the couch have come under scrutiny within the
analytic community itself, and Kravis’s lavishly illustrated book contributes
to that effort. The author, a clinical professor of psychiatry at Weill Cornell
Medical College, is also a supervising analyst at the Columbia University
Center for Psychoanalytic Training and Research. He notes that many analysts
now regard the couch as “nonessential” and “no guarantor of an analytic
process,” and even “a relic of a more authoritarian era, a power play on the
part of the analyst that unnecessarily regresses or infantilizes the analysand.”

On the Couch neither endorses those criticisms nor categorically rejects them.
Kravis treats both automatic conformity to tradition and a dogmatic rejection
of it as instances of “a frozen, rigid, doctrinaire or overly detached stance
on the part of the analyst rather than an effort to sense what’s going on [in
treatment] and adapt accordingly.” The challenge is to comprehend how the couch
entered the analytic tradition in the first place -- following some 2,500 years
of development as part of material culture.

The need for a piece of furniture designed for comfort during the hours one
spends neither toiling nor sleeping was not especially urgent for most of
humanity through most of its history. “If today the bed is associated primarily
with sleep and sex,” writes Kravis, mentioning two matters of great
psychoanalytic interest, “in earlier centuries it was strongly associated with
grandeur and privilege, just as the couch was associated with ease and luxury
in Greco-Roman culture.” The couch was more status symbol than convenience: the
wellborn and prosperous would dine and socialize on their couches -- inspiring
envy and, when possible, imitation by those lower in the social hierarchy.
Among the early images that Kravis presents is a funerary sculpture depicting a
woman reclining in the company of her children and a slave who, of course,
stand. A number of depictions of the Last Supper less well-known than Leonardo
da Vinci’s portray Jesus and the disciples lying on their sides on couches
around a table.

The fall of the Roman Empire brought “the decline of reclining dining,” to
borrow the author’s once-in-a-lifetime phrase, but imagery from later periods
continue to associate the couch with luxury and social position. It also
provided room for the pleasures of reading and conversation.

“Newly emerging ideals of comfort were becoming inseparable from notions of
social intimacy,” Kravis writes. “These are among the changes that provided the
cultural conditions necessary for the eventual emergence of psychotherapy in
general, and psychoanalysis in particular.”

Finally, war casualties and the spread of tuberculosis in the 19th century saw
the rise of the mass production of recliners and daybeds, including furniture
that could be adjusted to provide “as many graduations as possible between
sitting and lying.” Freud trained and practiced as a doctor while this market
was growing, and it seems significant that the German word he used for couch
(or “sofa,” in the earliest English translation) literally means “resting” or
“calm” bed, with connotations of the sanatorium or “rest cure” rather than the
bourgeois drawing room.

“For it even to become thinkable to lie down in the presence of another person
for the purposes of talking to him or her,” writes Kravis, “there had to be an
evolution in attitudes toward the private and the social reflected in the
history of recumbence -- its social meanings and contexts.” And ultimately, it
is the combination of intimacy and distance associated with analysis that he
wants to preserve, whether or not the couch facilitates it in a given case. The
analytic couch has a rich cultural heritage, which it is possible to defend
without succumbing to a fetish.

But one of the articles in his bibliography is a reminder that it is not the
public who need persuading. “The Couch as Icon” by Ahron Friedberg and Louis
Linn appeared in The Psychoanalytic Review five years ago. The authors did a
literature review of “over 400 papers on the usage of the couch in analysis.”
And while they found no real consensus on its value or effects, clinical
reports suggested that with some patients, the lack of eye contact could be a
problem or even dangerous. A depressed person with limited social contacts “may
come to an analytic hour and find his loneliness reinforced,” for example.
Someone dealing with trauma or early loss can find the experience not just
alienating but seriously damaging.

At the same time, Friedberg and Linn reported that a considerable number of
their colleagues continued to think of the “orthodox” arrangement as the gold
standard of the profession. It’s what they went through and what their training
analysts did before them. And patients who do not benefit from it have, in
effect, failed the legacy, not vice versa. On the Couch is an interesting and
attractive perspective on the roots of an analytic tradition, but parts of that
tradition sound downright compulsive.

South Asia Citizens Wire
Buzz for secularism, on the dangers of fundamentalism(s), on
Asia. Newsletter of South Asia Citizens Web:
www.sacw.net/

     #####