On Tuesday, March 22, 2011 1:34:44 AM UTC-7, Nicolas M. ThiƩry wrote:

> > Is it already possible or would it be easy to implement a quotient
> > of the free algebra by specifying relations between the generators?
>
> Unless Singular can provide something (but I guess that would be more
> for skew-commutative algebras; Simon: can you confirm?), the proper
> way to do this would be to use gap's KBMAG package. It should be
> fairly straightforward, but not instantaneous either.

I don't know anything about KBMAG; I should look into that.  Meanwhile,
Singular does let you define certain quotients of free algebras.  See
<http://www.singular.uni-kl.de/Manual/3-1-0/sing_404.htm>.  In Sage, I can
define a GF(2)-algebra S to be the free algebra on x and y subject to the
relation [x,y] = y^2:

sage: singular.LIB('ncall.lib')
sage: R=singular.ring(2,'(x,y)')
sage: C = singular.matrix(2, 2, '(1,1,1,1)')
sage: D = singular.matrix(2, 2, '(0, y*y, 0, 0)')
sage: S = C.nc_algebra(D)
sage: S.set_ring()
sage: x = singular('x')
sage: y = singular('y')
sage: x*y
x*y
sage: y*x
x*y+y^2

There are limitations on the sorts of algebras which can be defined this way
-- I think they need to have a PBW basis, basically -- see
<http://www.singular.uni-kl.de/Manual/3-1-0/sing_420.htm#SEC461> -- but
Singular does give you some quotients of free algebras.

--
John