Hi Nicolas,

On 2013-02-25, Nicolas M. Thiery <nicolas.thi...@u-psud.fr> wrote:
> It was a design decision that the user could create his "own" free
> module by specifying a prefix, even if the base ring and index set is
> the same. So the result for ``G is y`` is as desired.
>
> On the other hand, I personally consider that ``G == y`` is buggy: it
> should return False; the user explicitly asked for G and y to be
> distinct even if they are trivially isomorphic.
>
> Different opinion anyone?
>
> My bet is that our code does not depend on ``G==y`` returning True.

In a preliminary and rather intrusive version of a fast
UniqueRepresentation, I *forced* comparison by identity---hence, it
became impossible to create a non-unique parent inheriting from
UniqueRepresentation. But the result were numerous doctest errors in
sage/combinat, and they only disappeared whan I made CombinatorialFreeModule
a CachedRepresentation (not UniqueRepresentation) and used UniqueRepresentation
only on the classes that inherit from CombinatorialFreeModule.

> So fixing it should cause no nontrivial issue (except for a potential
> little annoyance for users who got used to this "feature"). And it
> would make CombinatorialFreeModule not deviate from the specs of
> UniqueRepresentation and solve your issue cleanly.

Well, using CachedRepresentation for CombinatorialFreeModule and
UniqueRepresentation for all sub-classes *is* clean, I think. Unless you
way that the "unique parent condition" is a law and not a rule of thumb.

Cheers,
Simon