Great!  I am once again amazed by your speed.

I set SAGE_SERVER as you said, but my attempt at installing fails to
get the package.  The output is appended below.  I doing this on a PPC
(G4) Apple powerbook, with sage 2.0 upgraded to 2.3.

I had tried to read the documentation you suggested - I was only
volunteering to try this because it seemed relatively simple!   I've
installed biopython 1.42 on linux, apple, and windows machines, but I
haven't tried a normal install of 1.43 yet (its quite recent).  I am
not sure what mxTextTools is doing; in a python install I just do
'sudo python setup.py install' although I am not sure that the sudo is
necessary.

I'll also give this a try on the Mac Pro (Intel) in my office when I
get in.

Thanks,
Marshall

~/sage-2.0:07:43:42:./sage -i biopython-1.43
Installing biopython-1.43
Calling sage-spkg on biopython-1.43
WARNING: Using SAGE_ROOT variable that was already set to '/Users/mh/
sage-2.0'.
biopython-1.43
Machine:
Darwin medmgmt-3.tajen.edu.tw 8.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.0: Fri
Sep  8 17:18:57 PDT 2006; root:xnu-792.12.6.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC Power
Macintosh powerpc
Deleting directories from past builds of previous/current versions of
biopython-1.43
/Users/mh/sage-2.0/local/bin/sage-spkg: file /Users/mh/sage-2.0/
biopython-1.43 does not exist
Attempting to download it.
www.sagemath.org/packages/optional/biopython-1.43.spkg -->
biopython-1.43.spkg
[
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/mh/sage-2.0/local/bin/sage-download_package", line 53,
in <module>
    if not download_file("optional/%s"%F):
  File "/Users/mh/sage-2.0/local/bin/sage-download_package", line 45,
in download_file
    urllib.urlretrieve(url, file, reporthook)
  File "/Users/mh/sage-2.0/local/lib/python2.5/urllib.py", line 89, in
urlretrieve
    return _urlopener.retrieve(url, filename, reporthook, data)
  File "/Users/mh/sage-2.0/local/lib/python2.5/urllib.py", line 222,
in retrieve
    fp = self.open(url, data)
  File "/Users/mh/sage-2.0/local/lib/python2.5/urllib.py", line 190,
in open
    return getattr(self, name)(url)
  File "/Users/mh/sage-2.0/local/lib/python2.5/urllib.py", line 451,
in open_file
    return self.open_local_file(url)
  File "/Users/mh/sage-2.0/local/lib/python2.5/urllib.py", line 465,
in open_local_file
    raise IOError(e.errno, e.strerror, e.filename)
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'www.sagemath.org/
packages/optional/biopython-1.43.spkg'
sage: Failed to download package biopython-1.43 from www.sagemath.org