To be honest I didn't give it much thought.  This is modified from the
simplest code I could find that did the job.

flatten(GF(5)) does return [0,1,2,3,4], while flatten([GF(5)]) returns
[Finite Field of size 5].  However, you can do:

flatten([GF(5)],ltypes = (list, tuple,
sage.rings.finite_field.FiniteField_prime_modn))

which returns [0,1,2,3,4].

Since I did a fair amount of python programming before using sage, I
guess I tend to favor code that is purely pythonic, which might be
against the grain of most sage development.

-Marshall