Building from scratch on a ppc laptop, I run aground when it gets to
lapack.  I already had a gfortran installed which may be the problem.
Here are the errors I get at the end of the install attempt:

( cd INSTALL; make; ./testlsame; ./testslamch; \
  ./testdlamch; ./testsecond; ./testdsecnd; ./testversion )
gfortran -fPIC  -c lsame.f -o lsame.o
gfortran -fPIC  -c lsametst.f -o lsametst.o
gfortran  -o testlsame lsame.o lsametst.o
/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
__gfortran_store_exe_path
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [testlsame] Error 1
/bin/sh: line 1: ./testlsame: No such file or directory
/bin/sh: line 1: ./testslamch: cannot execute binary file
/bin/sh: line 1: ./testdlamch: cannot execute binary file
/bin/sh: line 1: ./testsecond: No such file or directory
/bin/sh: line 1: ./testdsecnd: cannot execute binary file
/bin/sh: line 1: ./testversion: cannot execute binary file
make[2]: *** [lapack_install] Error 126
Error compiling lapack.