On 8/9/07, Nils Bruin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I understand the necessity to quit ignored worksheets in many cases,
> to save resources. However, it does kill a highly desirable behaviour
> that existed before:
>  1) start very long computation at work
>  2) kill browser, log out (process still running)
>  3) from home, connect to worksheet to check partial data, log out
> again
>  4) next morning, fire up browser and use results in worksheet that
> were completed at, say, 3am
>
> In the current model, I'm afraid the results would not be "living"
> anymore, because shortly after the session completed, it would
> probably get killed due to being "ignored".
>
> I understand there are work-arounds, like saving the resulting object
> as soon as it is computed, and in long computations it's advisable
> anyway to save checkpoints. The sage notebook behaviour used to be
> really friendly for these things, though.

It would be easier to add a feature that would turn off the
auto-kill for a given worksheet.   Would the following work
for you?

In the top right where it has the buttons

   [Save] [Save & Close] [Discard Changes]

change it to

   [Save] [Save & Close] [ Close & Leave Running ] [Discard Changes]

If "Close and Leave Running" is selected then the worksheet
is saved, closed, and the auto-kill feature for that worksheet
is turned off until the page is viewed again, when it's turned
back on.

One question is whether this button should appear for the public
server or not.  And, if it does, if it should still have some
timeout, e.g., some number of hours.

 -- William