Would someone be able to define a number field by supplying the value
of the klein j-function at a point in a quadratic order? E.g.
QQ[sqrt(-47), ellj((1+sqrt(-47))/2))]

What about:

f1(x) = eta(x/2,1)/eta(x,1)
K = QQ[abs(f1((1+sqrt(-47))/2))^2/sqrt(2)]

What about values of the exponential function? QQ[exp(2*pi*i/37)]

Another question is, should the field QQ[sqrt(2), sqrt(3)] be
determined in a different way to QQ[sqrt(2) + sqrt(3)]?

By the way, if it is decided that minimal equations of symbolic
expressions should be determined using algdep, beware that one needs
to compute the values of the actual algebraic expressions involved to
as many digits of accuracy as one is requiring the equation to give.
For example:

\p100
algdep(2^(1/3)+sqrt(3),6,1000)

will give the wrong answer. But then again, so will

\p100
algdep(sqrt((2^(1/3)+3^(1/5))/2),30,100)

Bill.